Pori Art Museum is situated in the centre of the town by the river Kokemaki; it resides in an old ware- and weighhouse originally built for the use of the customs. The ware- and weighhouse was built of stone on the riverbank below the town hall in 1858 - 1860. This large rusticated building that extends through the whole block was designed by architect C.J. von Heideken. In 1897 the ware and weighhouse was expanded by architect Gustaf Nystrom who gave the ware- and weighhouse its present external form. The conversion of the warehouse into an art museum was started in the 1970s. Plans were made by the architect's office Arkkitehdit Ky under the supervision of Mr. Kristian Gullichsen. The exterior of the building was restored to follow the 1897 renovation. The interiors that had originally been designed to serve as cold storage space had to be rebuilt almost completely. The vaulted doors became windows facing the beautiful historical riverbank milieu. The art museum was completed in 1981.
EXPANSION OF THE ART MUSEUM
Preparations for expanding the Pori Art Museum beneath the town hall hill began in 1997. The first stage included the reorganization of the museum lounge and cafe; this also benefited the museum shop which got new light and cosy premises adjacent to the renovated cafe. The building of the extension actually started in the spring of 1999. The entire building is situated underground and fitted with skylights. The art museum is connected to the extension along the Pakkahuoneenkatu street by glazed corridors, and the terrace between the corridors can be used for exhibitions.
The archaeological excavations for the foundation contributed an interesting addition to the extension: a stone cellar dating back to the 17th century that was found on the site is now preserved as part of the architectural structure. The extension was designed by the Arkkitehdit Ky under the supervision of Kristian Gullichsen. It was completed in the spring of 2000.
It includes contemporary artists and artist collaborations in the fields of environmental and ecological art.
Curated by Pia Hovi-Assad and Guest Curators John K. Grande (USA) and Peter Selz (USA)
In co-operation with Royal Botanical Gardens (Canada),Galerie Lelong (USA), Electronic Arts Intermix (USA), and ECOARTNET (USA).